Question

Maintanace fair?
My husband has been divorced for 7 years. He has a 12 year old son which he sees every 2nd weekend. We have a 3 year old son together and we have a wonderful relationship with my husbands son. My husband has always been paying maintance for his son, even when the company he was working for colsed down and he was out of work for a couple of months. Currently he pays R2000 per month and also his school fees (R800) and medical fees. His mother is now asking for more money.

My husband earns about R16000 per month and also has to help support his parents.

I earn much more than my husband. Because of that I pay for most of our things. My husband helps with the bond on the house and w& l. I pay for everything for our son and for us.

I would like to find out whether the amount that he is paying is fair and also whether the mother can claim money from me.
Divorce support expert
Divorce support expert

Hi "Me"

Being fair is really when all the parties concerned are happy with their portion.

If the maintenance has been agreed at a certain amount, it should normally increase every year with the normal increase rate. If the mother needs more money, he should ask what is her present concern to require more money and try and understand what her motives are. If it's because, say she doesn't want to get a job, I would then it's not fair. If she for instance needs this money because of added school supplies not budgeted for, then your husband may be willing to help.
The situation needs to be clear and agreed upon for things to be settled.
If this is not being amicably then unfortunately it will have to be addressed through a lawyer.

SADSA