Ask an expert

22 Jun 2011

My ex husband doesnt work and therefore doesnt pay maintenance. He does though pay something when he does get a job. He though has been living with a women for the last 4 years and she supports and maintains him with everything.

I would like to know if she is then classed as a common law wife? and could i claim maintenance from her?

Answer 395 views
Divorce support expert
Divorce support expert

01 Jan 0001

When we become parents we become responsible for that child. A divorce can put strain on our role as a parent but our responsibilities should remain unchanged even if one parent unfortunately does not pull his/her weight in responsibilities. It is not your co-parent current partner's responsibility to support your children, however, if your co-parent is unable to contribute maintenance you could appeal towards his parents.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17928 votes