Ask an expert

16 Aug 2010

Maintenance and visits
Hi there I have a 3 year old daughter with my ex,it has been over a year that he has''nt paid maintenance.He was unemployed but has a job now but still I dont get a cent for her.He want to but stuff when it suits him and I have to literally fight with him to come fetch her for a weekend.What can I do in this situation?
Answer 368 views
Family law expert
family law expert

01 Jan 0001

Go to the Magistrates Court in the area that you reside and lodge a claim for arrear maintenance. The maintenance officer will assist you.

Section 31(1) of the Maintenance Act stipulates that “. . . any person who fails to make any particular payment in accordance with a maintenance order shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to a fine or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding one year or to such imprisonment without the option of a fine.”

Bertus Preller
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.