Question

Maize Allergy
I have just recently had 2 very unpleasent experiences. On both occasions I got the most terrible stomache pain, nausea/vomitting, headache and diarrhea. It has been so bad that I have ended up in the emergency room on both occasions. After the 2nd experience, I found that the common denominator had been that I had eaten maize based meals (Creamy Meal porridge and Mealie Meal). Could it be that I have a maize allergy and how can I go about being tested for it?

Kathy

It can be a mere co-incidence that you had the maize based meals and these symptoms. I suggest that you have a gastroscopy and an upper abdominal ultrasound done. It is possible that you are suffering from gallstones and this will have to be investigated.

On rare occasions people do experience a reaction to maize and present with abdominal pain, nausea/vomitting and an a-typical dermatitis. To exclude a maize allergy, you should consult an allergy specialist for testing.