Question

MALARIA
My boyfriend works in Angola. A week ago he complained about a pain in his chest and the doctors there found a blood pressure of 181 over 103. They have treated him for malaria, but I have read up on malaria and high blood pressure is not one of the symptoms. He feels better, but complains that he is still very weak and has trouble breathing at times.

Please advise.
Thank you

Anna, any serious disease can cause high blood pressure (or low blood pressure for that matter). One would suspect someone with malaria to have low blood pressure, but high blood pressure isn’t impossible. The best would be for him to go back within a week or so and find out what his blood pressure is now. Good luck.