Question

Malaria and Larium
I am taking Larium at the moment as I live in a malaria area. How effect is Larium and what would the symtoms be when on Larium would they be less severe, would the Larium kill the parasite and prevent malaria. I have been told that malaria is unlikely to manifect if on Larium. WILL A BLOOD TEST SHOW UP POSITIVE IF ONE IS TAKING LARIUM and not be masked by the preventative. Also been told that if you get malaria when taking Larium, it is a problem to get the malaria treated. One hears so many horror stories. But I suppose basically will taking malaria preventatives (Larium) prevent dying of malaria.
Many thanks

Beryl, at the end of the day Lariam® is the best thing we have to prevent people from getting malaria. If you do get malaria whilst taking Lariam®, the symptoms might not be severe, but that is a good thing. Somehow people use this in some perverse way to justify not taking it. Apparently they would rather die from malaria with everyone knowing that it is malaria, than walking around with flu-like symptoms for a couple of days before the diagnosis of malaria is made. Somehow they miss the fact that if you suppress the disease up to the point where there are very few symptoms, it also can’t kill you. My advice would be to take the Lariam® as you have a more than 90% chance of it being effective. Good luck.