Ask an expert

07 Jan 2008

Marks on Face

i've had terrible acne during puberty, however, it has all cleared.

However, I have some marks on my face, as well as some small holes, due to scratching those pimples.

I doubt there's anything I could do for the holes, or is there?

But, what do you recommend I use for the marks that I have ?
Answer 450 views
Anti-ageing expert
Anti-ageing expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi Guy, thank you for the question.

The marks that you can see on the skin is most probably post-inflammatory pigmentation, and you have various options to treat them.
Topical: glycolic acid peels, a moisturizer that contains alpha-hydroxy acids, and a de-pigmentation cream that contains kojic acid, Bearberry, Mulberry root extracts, and glycolic acid.
Laser, IPL, IPL with Bi-Polar Radiofrequency: various skin rejuvenation machines on the market today can produce excellent clearance of pigmentory marks. These may be used alone or in conjunction with the topical regime described above.

Laser: these machines have a good track record in removing the scarring or ‘holes’ following acne, chicken pox, etc.
Two examples are the Fraxel and the Syneron Matrix IR Fractional Laser.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.