Ask an expert

15 May 2004

Marriage a mistake
Dear Doc,

I don't know what to do. I am married for the second time, but two years down the line I think this marriage is a mistake! A divorce is out of the question as we are married in community of property (he insisted on that when we got married).

I admit I married the man because I was lonely after 5 years on my own. When I first met him I was very much in love with him, but now I find living with him very difficult! He is very possesive and between my husband and my job, I have no time to myself. I am really confused. I was not happy in my first marriage, not happy living alone, not happy in my second marriage. I don't know what I want out of life. I don't understand myself!! Perhaps I expect too much from life.

I do not have money or time to go for councilling. After my divorce I went for councilling, but it did not help me at all.

I feel very despontant right now.

Thanks for you time
Answer 452 views

01 Jan 0001

Hello Emma,
I suppose one ought never to marry in community of property if one has any doubts, but it's easy to be wise in retrospect, isn't it ? Sorry that after your divorce you found a duff counsellor who wasn't able to help as much as they ought to be able to.
If you need counselling ( or anything else ) to enable you to feel better and achieve more independence, then you need it and a way has to be found to find the time and money for it. You deserve no less. If he won't join you in marriage counselling ( it sounds like he wouldn't ) then look after yourself, and use the opportunity to clarify what you want. Until you can select a fruitful destination, there's no good way to choose how to get there ; but once your needs and aims are clearer, it's much easier to plan how to get there from here.
LOuise is quite right -- there are ways for you to achieve what you need, if you know what it is and if you want it badly enough.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.