Question

Married and desperate for a child
We have undergone 3 attempts of conceiving with gynae assistance towards the end of last year (we had a miscarriage in 2007). Both me and my partner were on Fertomid 50 combined with ovridrel injection and still no luck. Undergone sperm test and I also had a lapscope done in 2005 which revealed that I had mild endometrisis however urologist and gynae concluded that we do not have an infertility problem and we should keep trying. Its almost 12 months in total of trying with no succeess I am even thinking a lot about artificial insemination lately but not sure what option is best and if we can afford it. What can the FS advise us to do next and how much will it cost roughly and does medical aid pay for such treatments?? By the way we live close to BIOART Brenthurst if I need to consult a FS Dr. Cassims rooms will be convinient for us.
fertility expert

Dear Kay

The positive part of all this is that you have had a miscarriage in 2007 that means you have the ability to conceive, in addition according to your gynaecologist and your urologist there are no major concerns regarding fertility. If after trying for 1 year and no conception has taken place spontaneously then the next option would either be artificial insemination on a natural cycle or on an induced cycle. Medical Aids do not pay for such treatments and the costs of a cycle of artificial insemination are in the region of between R1000 to R1500.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo