Question

Mass buidler supplement shakes
Hi Doc,

I've started trainging at the gym, and started a course of a protein mass builder supplement to help build and for energy. But I'm hearing that, afterall these shakes are not healthy and can do more damage than good. Could you perhaps confirm or enlighten me a little more.
Thanks.

Hi Guy

I'm naturally biased AGAINST the shakes, because they are not ever tested properly, because that's the nature of the supplement industry. Unlike medicines, supplements don't have to be extensively tested in order to reach the shelf, and so there is really little telling what the side effects may be.

So mainly for that reason, I'm not a big fan of supplements in general. This is quite apart from the fact that most of the time, they are not even needed - you would be far better off just eating a decent diet, and then supplements are relatively meaningless.

Having said all this, of all the supplements, the only ones that may be OK to take are the protein powders, provided they are from a reputable company and the risk of contamination is kept down. In this case, protein shakes are quite harmless, though there is of course still the question of whether you actually need to use them. I usually say that supplements shoudl be the last resort, after all other options have been used up, and this is never the case, especially not here.