Question

Medication for Bornholms Desease
Dear Doc

Due to severe pains accross the top of my back, I went to a doctor, who told me that I had Bornholms Desease. Apparently, this is normally treated with Voltaren, but being asthmatic, I am not able to take any antiflamitory drugs. I am wearing large white patches on my back and am having to take pain killers every 4 hours. Could you possible tell me if there is any alternative medication of this ailment, and also what causes this. I only know that the pain is extremely severe.

Many thanks
HELENA ERNST

Helena, Bornholm’s disease or epidemic pleurodynia may occur at any age but is most common in children. There is sudden onset of severe, frequently intermittent, often pleuritic pain in the epigastrium or lower anterior chest, with fever and often headache, sore throat, and malaise. Local tenderness, hyperesthesia, muscle swelling, and myalgias of the trunk and extremities may occur. The disease usually subsides in 2 to 4 days, but relapse may occur within a few days and symptoms may continue or recur for several weeks. Up to 5% of cases are complicated by aseptic meningitis, orchitis, and, less commonly, fibrinous pleuritis and pericarditis.
Diagnosis is obvious during an epidemic. However, in sporadic cases or in the early stages of an epidemic, the disease may be mistaken for spontaneous pneumothorax, acute appendicitis, pancreatitis, costochondritis, a perforated viscus, an influenza-like respiratory infection, or MI. Laboratory diagnosis consists of demonstrating a rise in specific neutralizing antibody titers or isolating the virus on a throat or stool culture.
Prognosis is good in uncomplicated cases, although a few deaths have been reported. Repeated infections with another of the group B coxsackieviruses is possible. Treatment is symptomatic with anti-inflammatories, painkillers and physiotherapy. Good luck.