Question

Meds
Dear CS
I feel very agitated today. Unable to sit still. Everything is a blur.
The med. aid doesn’t want to pay for the Lamictin I used to take anymore. I have to take 200 mg Epitec and 150 mg Lamitor instead. Two weeks ago I reduced the Lamitor with 50 mg. I hoped the reduced dose will help to make me to feel better, but it doesn’t. I still feel emotionally dead. Bad things happening in my life and I’m not even upset about it. I’m probably not making any sense. I can’t think. Writing this message is very difficult. I want to be free from all the meds I have to take for BP. Lots and lots everyday. I don’t know what to do. I can’t continue like this. I feel so confused. I need help and my shrink is not the one to ask.

As you probably already know well, NImo, managing Bipolar disorder is complex, but possible. It is sadly a common stupidity for a Medical aid to refuse to pay for a drug which has already proved itself to be working well for someone, without knowing which alternative could work as well. However, it it also the case that generally, we can be suited by several of the alternatives available, though you may go through a patch of uncertainty while alternatives are tired to find what suits you best. You mention having to take "lots and lots" of meds, but also describe just 2. I would normally say you should indeed ask your shrink about this --- he ought to have checked whether the medicine he recommended would be covered by your med aid, and should be following you closely to see how best to adjust your new meds, to get the best results for you. I'm not sure why you say "my shrink is not the one to ask" --- is there some specific reason for this ? Maybe a second opinion from a different shrink would suit you ?