Question

Meds and food

My dad had his esophagus removed due to complications with cancer. He is been PEG fed. We struggle to give him his medication because everything has to be crushed to go through the PEG. Some tablets seems to be waxy and alot of it remains in the glass when we pull the water and meds into the catheter. To my blond brain it means he is not getting the correct dossage of the meds. The dietician he had in hospital gave him eating plans and all of then said not to mix his meds with the food but again my blond brain tells me it mixes in his stomach in any case. My question is why can the meds not be put in the food as everything is given to him at room temperature so that can not affect the meds. The food is much easier to give to him as very little remains in the dish when we''re done.

Mixing the medication with his food can alter the absorption of the medication and this can negatively influence the action of the medication.