Ask an expert

27 Nov 2005

Meds. re Arthritic/gout
Dear Doc, Please can you advise rather urgently. My husband has been a gout sufferer for years and we have tried all there is to try. diet cannot be adjusted any more than it is... no alcohol at all. Tried all the natural remedies as well. He saw his GP who put him onto Zyloprim/ folic acid and Brexacam.
He said he felt worse, and one could actually see him bloated and swollen.... no longer foot but hands and aches in body all over
He drinks Nurofen and colchicine on an off when pain is too bad. What would be the next step to try and get help for him?
What tests are done (blood) to see if it is RA ? Should he see a specialist perhaps, would that make a difference?
He is carrying weight that he must lose, but its impossible for him to excercise with the pain he experiences.
PLEASE ADVISE!!!! Thank you.
Answer 536 views

01 Jan 0001

EmCee, the best would be for him to see a rheumatologist. He will do all the tests to determine the cause and prescribe the correct medication. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.