Question

Menopause

I am 39 with hypothyroidism and on Eltroxin daily. I also take co-diovan for hypertension. Last month my menutruation was irregular - bled heavily (lots of clots) for 13 days with no sign of letting up. Went to GP on 9th day. He did thyroid test and female hormone test. Test results available after that weekend. Did not get any feedback or explanation from the doc, just a call from the nurse saying " results of everything are within normal levels and come fetch your script" . I asked for copy of blood results, but can''t interpret them, but it does say I am slightly anaemic. Got a script for melodene, started taking them right away and period stopped next day (day 13). Script is for 3 months, so I was told to come back in 3 months. In the meanwhile I have started with night sweats while sleeping. I became aware of this in the early hours of the morning, a little before waking. Not drenched, but enough to make me feel uncomfortable and damp. Also been moody and weepy of late. I am definitely not pregnant. Did a blood sugar fasting test this morning - normal. Could this be the start of menopause? I have had a lot of stress in my life and doc did say a while back the hypothyroidism could trigget early menopause. I had my child at 25.

Menopause is unlikely to start this way. It would start with missing periods. If the heavy bleeding recurs you should see your gynaecologist for further assesment.