Question

Mercury levels in tuna
Is it true that there are unacceptably high levels of mercury present in tuna? I eat on average one can of tuna every other day because I like it so much. Will this be detrimental to my health, and if so, how will it affect me?

Dear C
There have been reports that some tinned fish products such as tuna have been found to contain high levels of mercury. However, most canned tuna is tested before sale and should not be contaminated. Mercury poisoning, like all heavy metal poisoning, would lead to damage to the nervous system, loss of hair, cutaneous symptoms, etc.