Question

Messing in the house

I have a female scottish terrier aged 4 years. I house trained her from 6 weeks to go outside, by putting her outside after meals and praising her when she used the grass. I ignored her if she messed inside and cleaned up the mess. When she was a puppy, we used put her in the bathroom when we went out, and she urinated there on newspapers.

The house backdoor is open all the time and she spends 90% of ther time outside. This door is locked when we are sleeping and that is when she urinates in the bathroom, leaving a puddle surprise for me the next morning! How can I change this behaviour? Should I remove her water bowl after a certain hour? What about pet odour products claiming to eliminate the smell and things like " Voetsak"  which repels them? What about using bleach to clean the floor? The bathroom floor is tiled.

She goes for long periods without messing, then will do it for a few nights in a row.
Dog Behaviour Expert
Dog Behaviour Expert

Hi there, nice to hear from you.If this is a new behaviour, then would suggest that you have her checked at the vet to make sure no physical problem. Would be an idea to phone vet first to see what they want to to look for before taking your dog in. They may ask you to see if she is drinking more, urinating more, what colour the urine is etc. I would not remove the water bowl without checking if physically she is ok first.

If there i nothing wrong from the physical side then I would suggest that you train her to eliminate on paper and have put a link here at the bottom on how to do this.

With regard to cleaning, try a mixture of one third white vinegar to two thirds water. Really dampen the whole area and then sponge up with paper towels. Many household products contain ammonia and this makes the area smell more like a toilet, plus the bleach may be very strong to her nose. Bear in mind that a dogs contains over 200 million more scent cells than us and bleach is very strong, even to us humans! If she is sleeping in the bathroom, provide a nice bed for her to lie in covering an area of the floor.

also try taking her out a bit later in the evening and see if this help. Link is
http://www.friendsofthedog.co.za/teaching-a-pup-to-eliminate-on-paper.html