Ask an expert

27 Jan 2009

Midlife Crisis Husband
Dear Cybershrink
My husband is having a midlife crises and admits to it too. He has been out partying all night long. One night after the other. I do not think he has a girlfriend as yet but he is drinking and maybe even indulging in some recreational drugs. He plans to go for one drink after work but then ends up going to different, trendy parties etc.
He has admitted that there is a problem and also to go and speak with a therapist. He does not really have a family doctor so I do not know where to start. Do you have any advise where to send him to and how I should be behaving. Supporting or more treatening. So far, I have been more then understanding but I fear that I become a walk-over. Thanks for your advise.
Answer 338 views

01 Jan 0001

Pathetic, isn't it ? And he probably doesn't realize that the folks he meets at those "trendy parties" most likely think that of him. But jump a the opportunity that he has admitted that there is a problem and is open to getting help. Try calling FAMSA who could recommend a counsellor he could see, in your area. You should support his agreement to therapy, and his good behaviour, while calmly and firmly rejecting his bad behaviour.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9321 votes
67% - 18660 votes