Question

Migraine
Hello Doctor,

I get migrain attacks every second month and always when i'm menstruating, a week before my menstruation i also suffer from headaches. I have been treated for the last 3 years with pethidene,
tramal, zomig, sibelium, tenston, brazapam and strong sleeping pills. But my migraines keep occuring. When i have had
the pethidene or tramal injections i'm very messed up, don't know what i'm doing, i sleep for 2 days wake up go back to work and go on with my life for another 2 months then the same happens.
The pethidene reallys works fast and makes me unaware of the pain but is highly addictive.
I'm am now going for a second opion by another Doctor, I would just like to hear your opion too.
I'm at this point where i am afraid to menstruate because of the migraines. I had migraine when
I was 9 years old but it went away after a homeopath worked out a diet for me, but for the last
3 years i have it again, and like i said the last 2 years it occurs with menstruation. My migraines also suprise me about 2 or 3 o' clock in the morning then i need a doctor immediatley because the
pain is unbearable. My mother thinks that my body is already addicted to pethidene and creates
it's own migraines just for pethidene, is this possible?

Lee-Ann, it definitely sound like you suffer from migraine triggered by menstruation. I doubt that it’s due to the pethidine, but you should refuse to take it anyway. I wrote something on migraine a while ago and if you mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za I’ll send you a copy. It might help you to work out what the problem is. At the end the best would be to see a neurologist and have it sorted out. Good luck.