Question

migraine
I suffer from vertigo, pain in the ears, low energy levels,nausea, sinus pain, see flashing lights, feel sensitive on my forehead and have very bad headaches, just had an mri of brain and everything is fine. Do you think i am suffering from migraines? Doc put me on topamax sprinkles-only helping me with vertigo.
Headache expert
headache expert

Dear FS,

You are definitely experiencing the type of symptoms that occur with migraine. Topamax is used in an attempt to prevent migraine, but like all the other migraine preventive drugs, is not as effective as we would like. Medication (as you have experienced) is certainly not the best solution – the best way to prevent migraine is to diagnose what is causing it.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.