Question

Milk, wheat and soya allergy<br>
my 13 month old daughter had a blood test done for allergies, and the results were that she was moderately allergic to milk, wheat and soya. The doctor said to avoid this as far as possible, but that yoghurt with live AB cultures and cheddar cheese should be save. What is the reason for this, what exactly is the difference between dairy and the yoghurt an cheddar cheese? Are there different proteins in these products?
I now also have to give her NAN HA formula milk instead of the Soya formula that I have been giving up to now. The only problem is that she won't drink it. Are there any alternatve formulas that you can recommend that I use?
Since she's turned 1, are appetite decreased and she became a lot more fussy about her food, which really makes this difficult.
Please help.

Dear Madeleine
If your daughter is allergic to lactose (milk sugar) then she will probably be able to tolerate yoghurt and cheeses because most or all the lactose in these products has been removed by fermentation. If she is allergic to a protein in milk then there is no guarantee that she will be able to tolerate yoghurt and cheeses. I would suggest that you phone the Nestle Helpline at 0860-09-6789 for advice on additional formulas. Children do become more selective as they grow older, so you may find that she has certain food preferences and dislikes (part of the process of becoming an individual), but she may have not been feeling well as a result of her allergies and this may have affected her appetite too, so persevere and if she rejects a food, then leave it out for awhile and try her on it at a later stage.