Question

Mince
When I cook my mince I boil it first in a little bit of water until just cooked. I then throw off the water containing any fats that liquified, whereafter I continue with the recipe.
I do this to minimize my fat intake.
Are there any disadvantages to this practice, e.g. maybe I am getting rid of important vitamins in the water??
Your advice will be appreciated.
Kind regards!!

Dear Martie
You may lose some B vitamins by discarding the water you boil the mince in, but otherwise this should not have a pronounced effect on the nutritional value of the meat you prepare. Another way of getting round the problem of the fat in meat, is to cook it the day before and allow the dish to cool and then keep it in the fridge overnight, then you can scoop off the congealed fat on the top of the dish before reheating it. Also if possible, buy the leanest mince available.