Question

miscarriage after 7 years of trying
After 7 years of trying to fall pregnant, I finally did however had a MC at 5 weeks, I am 37 and am on Glucophage 500mg 2 x per day my sugar levels are pretty much kept under control and I lead an otherwise healthy life. Did not know I was pregnant and was taking an antibiotic for a virus could this have contributed to the MC or is it the Glucophage. Did not need a D&C after the MC how soon can I try again
fertility expert

Dear Melania

The first concern is whether the miscarriage was a definite pregnancy or not. The only conclusive test for this would have been to do a Beta-quantitaive blood test.
Ultra sound confirmation of pregnancy is not always reliable except in instances where a definite fetal pole and fetal heart is noted.

It is possible, if the pregnancy was definite, that the concomitant presence of a viral infection more than the use of antibiotics may have contributed to the miscarriage. It is an accepted fact that viral infections, which cause temperatures in early pregnancy, is associated with pregnancy losses. Certainly some antibiotics are regarded as being unsafe as well.

It is unlikely that the glucophage was a major contributory factor in this instance as glucophage would result more in a possible fetal abnormality then a miscarriage per se.

You can attempt another pregnancy as soon as you have seen at least one normal menstrual cycle after the miscarriage. My advise would be to have had a D&C done because in more than 2/3 of early miscarriages not all the products are totally expelled. However, with the onset of your next period, these remaining products of conception or trophoblastic tissue will be expelled as well, and therefore there is no need to do a D&C at this point n time.