Ask an expert

02 Jul 2005

Miss diagnosed Bipolar/depression
I think that I have been miss diagnosed, my doctor says I have depression. However I think I have bipolar and have just come out of a manic episode which has cost me dearly financially. How do I get referred to someone who is actually interested in me as a patient and not as just another R175 in his pocket. Where do I get the right help. I don't know where to find help.
Answer 369 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Dipsy,
Well, sometimes diagnosing these Affective Disorders ( a useful name for the whole family of them ) it can be a bit like the story of the blind men who encountered an Elephant. One, grasping the trunk, insisted that elephants were very like snakes, and one, coming upon a leg, said "Nonsense, they're just like trees".
Is it possible that when you saw the doctor you were depressed ( which is of cousrse also a part of bipolar disorder ) and talked of depresion, and then later had a manic episode ( which can, in some circumstances be partly brought on by taking appropriate antidepressants during a depressive phase ) ?
Souns like you'd feel more comfortable with a second opinion, though it's hard to predict in advance how you would feel about any speific psychiatrist you might see. Maybe friends or your GP could recommend a good local psychiatrist ?
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.