Question

Missed period
Hi Doc, in August, i had a surgery, to unblock one of my tube so that i can get pregnant, my doctor put me in Premarin for 60 days and on my 50th pill to combine them with medroxyprogesterone for 10 days to stimulate menstruation, while i was on premarin, i missed my period and the 2 days after combining all those pills, i had my periods for 2 weeks and a half, on my 13 to 14th until my 19th day i was sexually active, now i missed me period i think a week or 2 weeks now, i am not taking all those pills, i wonder what's going on? i don't want to take a pregnancy test, i feel bloated, cramps that comes and go, i feel like periods but nothing is coming, i am eating all the time, hungry all the time and thirsty all the time ,and feel iritated so easily. i feel uncomfortable in my lower abdomen, passing gas all the time... i gained a little bit of wait, my breast is so tender and my nipples are painful. will i be pregnant? or it still, those after premarin or progesterone side effects? I took the last pill on my 5th day during my menstruation. Please help me....
fertility expert

Dear LL coolJ

The connection between unblocking of the tube and the use of premarin in conjunction with medroxyprogesterone is unclear. There are two different issues and should be dealt with independently. The use of Premarin in conjuction with medroxyprogesterone acetete is unclear in my opinion as there is no proven benefit in terms of conception. However, it is not unusual for patients who are otherwise reproductively fertile, to ovulate on Premarin and conception is possible as a result.

Premarin is an HRT(hormone replacement therapy) option and is of a very low dose and will not act as a contraceptive. However, combining it with medroxyprogesterone may alter fertility and can result in the type of menstrual pattern that you are describing. Your symptoms may, although akin to pregnancy, also be secondary to the hormonal manipulation that you hve recently undergone. I would suggest that you do a home pregnancy test and should this be negative I would advice you to see a fertility specialist who would be able to restore your menstrual cycle to normality and also to simulate or promote ovulation and therefore increase your chances of conception.