Question

mom like valerie
I have a mom like "valerie". She's such a good person, but you can tell she's sad inside all the time. I have asked her to see a shrink, but she says she's read all there is to know and just needs to motivate herself somehow, so could you please explain for me, and her, how CBT would be more useful than all the knowledge she has.

Rwading can be helpful, but it's rarely enough on its own. And if someone hasn't managed to motivate herself in some years, it isn't going to happen spontaneously. Knowledge on its own is in fact totally useless. Check the archives of this forum for my many explanations of CBT --- it helps her to motivate herself ( she still does all the important work, but with sufficient guidance to do it efectively ) and to identify behaviours and automatic thoughts and assumptions ( like those you[ve described !) which are unhelpful and unfruitful, and hlps the person to test these, and revise them, for the best effect. very much like what she keeps promising herself to do, but has never quite managed to do.