Ask an expert

02 Apr 2007

Monster in law
My mother in law has been living with us for about a year for reasons beyond our control. The longer she stays the more I dislike her, I never got along or felt at ease with her before she came to live with us and now its worse than ever. She makes my life miserable and brings to our lives more problems when we have enough problems to deal with as it is. My husband turns a deaf ear and a blind eye to the situation and just says that we have too many other things to worry about, but I can't do this. Its very difficult especially as I basically run the household and the feelings between her and myself are very tense. I just don't know what to do. I've tried to get along, believe me, but all of a sudden she'll have one of her stupid bad moods like I've done something wrong and then its back to square one again. She is a real drama queen and is petty and moody and wants attention and sympathy which I am reluctant to give as I don't even like her. I feel that my husband is just sticking his head in the ground and leaving me to contend with matters as he wants nothing to do with it and chooses to ignore her unless she is in a good mood. When my children are visiting she makes them feel very uncomfortable - so much so that they say that home is just not like home anymore. I just dont know how I will be able to cope with this much longer - its reaching boiling point and then I don't know what will happen
Answer 378 views

01 Jan 0001

Are those reasons truly, entirely and permanently beyond your control ? IF she lives with you, she must keep to YOUR rules of the home or find herself somewhere else. If your husband is ignoring the problem, try to get him itno marriage counselling. You may need to confront him and consider moving out yourself for a while, to convince him that this problem is not to be ignored
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.