Ask an expert

12 Dec 2005

Mood Swings
My daughter and her boyfriend both 24 have been living together for 3 years. The bf suffers from mood swings. He is on some sort of meds. Yesterday we had a family outing, his folks and me and them. Bf was in a fowl mood, which in turn made my daughter cry. She is worried that his parents will think that she is the cause of his bad moods! What worries me most is that there has been talk of marriage, how will my daughter manage to live with this moody person for the rest of her life?! Must I let her make her own mistakes just the way I made mine? I married her father inspite of his drinking problem. His heavy drinking resulted in the end of the marriage after 20 years. I am worried that she will be unhappy with this man in the long term. Any advice?
Answer 397 views

01 Jan 0001

His parents must surely know of his problem and his being under treatment for it, and thus would need to be very stupid to blame your daughter for what may be signs of his illness. Before deciding on marriage, maybe your daughter could ask to speak with his psychiatrist, with his blessing and approval, to ask for information about his condition and the outlook for it. If this is a mood disorder, they generally do much better with treatment, as compared with alcohol problems
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.