Question

Moody
Hi Doc and readers
I have had this problem for a while. My moods are very eratic. One minute I am fine and happy. The next minute, for no reason at all, I become highly irritated. I need to pick a fight with someone to feel better. Do I need medication? I have heard that GLA seems to moderate mood swings? Please help as I am going to ruin my relationship because of these moods!

Dear D,
I have seen no evidence at all that GLA moderates mood swings. And the sort of medicinal drugs that DO moderate mood swings ( like Lithium and some anti-epileptic drugs ) work on the sort of mood swings that last for days or weeks ( or months ) up and then days, weeks, etc, down, rather than on mood swings within the course of hours. This latter problem ends to be called lability of mood, and is more often not so much chemical as due to emotional problems which respond well to counselling. You need to understand what it is that you keep getting irritated about, and to develop better ways of handling those episodes or irritability or frustration, than picking fights which only lead to further problems.