Question

Moody kid
I have a 5 year old son who suffers from terrible mood swings. I am not sure what is causing this, sugar definitely sends him on a terrible high but I feel that there may be some other food substances or additives that could cause this as well. He first gets uncontrollably active and wild, jumping and shouting and throwing himself around then as the effect wears off he gets terrible black moods where he will fight with everyone about everything and it eventually ends up in a terrible temper tantrum where he goes completely wild, trashing his room, breaking things and eventually ends up putting himself to bed and falling asleep. Could you give me any advise as to what could be causing this problem. I have cut out all sugar in his diet but this does not seem to solve the problem completely.

Dear Jenifer
Please take the lad to a Paediatrician or a Child Psychiatrist for an evaluation. The dr will also be able to schedule allergy or sensitivity tests as your son could be reacting to additives, preservatives or colourants, rather than, or in addition to sugar. He needs medical assistance and may also require psychological counselling and play therapy to help him cope. If he is allergic or sensitive to certain foods or additives, then it is a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a diet that is free of the offending component and also assist you with this problem. Some children who have ADD react well to omega-3 supplements (Salmon oil capsules), but first let's obtain a diagnosis for the lad and then we can have a look at dietary changes and supplements.
Holding thumbs for you and your son.