Question

mouth ulcers
hi doc

ever since i can remember , iv'e been battling with mouth ulcers . is there a quick remedy you can prescribe without buying expensive products .

thanks doc , awaiting your reply .

Gena, this is from an article I wrote on mouth ulcers a while ago. If you’d like a copy, mail me at netdoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.
“Here are some of the treatment options available:
· A dental protective paste like Kenalog in Orabase® can be applied 2-3 times a day and just before you go to bed.
· A mouthwash that includes a topical anaesthetic like Cepacaine® or Orochlor® solution can be used every 3-4 hours.
· Rinsing the mouth with Mucaine® (an antacid) seems to help a lot of people.
· For multiple lesions, tetracycline oral suspension (250mg 4 times a day for 10 days) is held in the mouth for 2 to 5 minutes to coat the ulcers before swallowing. This treatment is only indicated in people older than ten years because tetracycline may colour tooth enamel.
· In severe cases corticosteroids are indicated, both as a mouth rinse and as tablets.”