Question

MRI AND BRAIN SCAN
Good Day Doctor,

I would like to know how SAFE is having MRI and BRAIN scans done on me. I'm 11 weeks pregannt. The doctor is trying to establish the cause of headacres that i had for years.

If it's safe, by how many weeks can i have this done?

Your help will be highly appreciated.

TT

Hi TT
MRI is not x/rays and they say that it is relatively safe to do after 12 weeks pregnancy. CT scans use x/rays and you should ask them to put a lead apron over your tummy and baby to protect them. I am just not sure if they will need to use contrast medium and if this would be harmful - if I were you, I would first talk to the radiologist per telephone and find out whether they would do this in pregnancy before making an appointment.