Question

Muco-epidermal carcinoma
Dear Cyberdoc,

Thank you for the informative site on health. I was recently diagnosed with a rare type of skin cancer, apparently originating from a gland called the muco-epidermal carcinoma (MEC). I was trying to read more about it from this web page but could not find it. The only thing resembling it is the basal cell cancer (BCC). It started as a pimple and just grew - located in the skin of my head. The pathology reports states that there are 11 reported cases and only 2 that have been followed up in the last 33 years but it exists as a type of cancer not caused by exposure to the sun. It had been misdagnosed three time as an ingrown hair follicle and finally as a sebacious cyst but only to be dicsovered by pathologists to be highly malignant. I then had to go for a wider excision for a complete excision and still nursing the wounds from that. Not much is known about it and was wondering if you knew anything about it.

L

L, I don’t know much about it, but I can try and find out for you. Give me a couple of days and I’ll see what I can find. Please post a reminder (as a new question) if you haven’t received an answer by the weekend. Good luck.