Question

Mucus in Bowel Movement
Hi Doc,

I Have as far as I can remember, every time I have a bowel movement, there is slimey light white'ish brown mucus with it. About 2 weeks ago I woke-up with terrible cramps and I went to my GP that day, he told me I had a bug. I didn't have the runs whatsoever... just cramps. He prescribed an antibiotic plus Buscopan. By the end of the day I already had 8 of them for the cramps and it still didn't help. I will be ok for about 5 mintues.. the next moment a spasm hits my stomach just beneath my ribs and it spreads all over my stomach. It was so bad, that I couldn't lie still, I didn't know what to do with myself. I was white and drenched in sweat. My stomach was so bloated I looked 6 months pregnant. The next day the cramps kind of subsided to just every hour, but I had to walk so carefully as it felt that my stomach was going to fall out. That night my mother gave me "X...40" in a purple blister pack that is for stomach acid reduction, my father had it after he took out his gallbladder. That seemd to make me feel much better and the next day my stomach wasn't bloated anymore. I still get cramps since then, but very slight a few times during the day, especially after I have eaten. And there is now so much mucus in my bowel movements, and when I do go it feels like I haven't really emptied my bowels properly. What can it be? I have thought about kidney stones (because I have been urinating quite a bit and when I had the bad cramps I remember feeling like it was "cutting" a bit, I nearly thought I was getting a bladder infection on top of that - but I do drink a lot of water), stomach ulcer, food allergies?? I just don't know!!

Please give me ideas if controling this or which type of doctor should I see. I live in Alberton, Jhb. Thanks so much!!

Hallo Jade
You may have a parasitic infection in your bowel – best would be to send away a stool sample to a lav to check – your GP can do this. If this is negative the best specialist to be seen would be a gastroenterologist.