Question

Muffin Top
Help - I work out 4 times a week - twice with a trainer ( free weights / cardio etc) palates once and boxing once. I eat a very low fat , low carb diet but I still have a fat roll over the top of my jeans - what am I doing wrong ?

Hi Kaz

Nothing, you just have a very difficult problem to combat. This is by far the most common question that is asked, actually. Everyone seems to battle with the weight in a specific area. It's really difficult to combat though, although you have already hopefully recognized that eating well and exercising correctly are the keys. The simple answer then, is to continue exercise and change your eating patterns. I have a feeling that your focus is perhaps a little too heavily on the weight training and the short high intensity training. Boxing is awesome, because it's so intense that you can't not get a great workout doing it, but it's also very stop start, and that's not always the best for weight loss. The pilates is also not ideal for weight loss. So the key is that you may need to do a little more cardio than you are doing now, though that is a guess because I don't know what you are doing exactly. But more cardio is probably a key.

The specific exercises for the area in question have a relatively minor role, other than that they are responsible for developing the muscle in the area, which creates the appearance of being toned. That's obviously what you want, but you have to realise that you can't do the toning and specific work first and neglect the cardio - it has to work the other way around, cardio first, toning second. So focus on cardio, then on toning.

Diet is also very crucial, and if it's not 100% it will undermine any exercise benefits. So the best thing is to see a dietician or follow a very good diet plan. Just remember that low kilojoule is not necessarily better - too low causes problems as well, because it causes the body's metabolic rate to drop and that affects your ability to lose weight in the future. So don't try to starve yourself or go overboard, rather eat sensibly, cut out as much fat as you can, and listen to your body.

Ross