Question

muscle activation
hi fitness doc
recently i had a soccer injury intense pain on the outer side of my knee i wnet to see a phsio and she did a thing called muscle activation on me basically pressed on certain points to so call"activate" the muscle .much to my surprise the pain was gone do you know of this method and if so do you think that it will help in the healin process i must say amazing stuff to give an eg from the navel 1to 2cm to the side she pressed her 2 fingers in for about 30 secs and immediately i could lift my leg from the lying down position withh much less pain and eventually i could stand and out pressure on my leg!!!!
your comments please
by the way she is a reg physio at a reputable clinic

Hi Jonathan

I’ve heard of this and yes, there is physiological basis for it, because in effect, she’s activating nerves that ultimately all converge in the same places. So the specifics are complex, I’m not even 100% sure that I understand them enough to explain, but there is basis for this. I’m not sure about the “muscle activation” claim – I suspect it is more likely a simulation of the peripheral nerve that alters what we call “feedback”. That allows the muscle to be activated again – you activate the muscle because of changes in how the nerves are being stimulated.

Whether there is a role for this in healing, I’m not sure. If the muscle or tendon or joint is damaged, then the only thing that will really heal it is rest and some direct treatment. This might facilitate the healing, but it depends on the injury as to how effective it will be.