Question

Must I have a 2nd child?
My boy is 2 years old. While pregnant with him, I was very sick and almost lost his a couple of times. He had a lot of problems with his ears and is going for his 3rd set of crommets. Last year I went to a psychologist and she diagnosed me with depression. I was put on medication and after about 3-4 months, I still didn't feel better. She referred me to a psychiatrist whom sent me to a neurologist. I was diagnosed with complex partial epilepsy. The doctor say it was triggered with my pregnancy. I am on medication for the epilepsy. At this stage of my life, I am very confused. On the one hand I don't want another child and on the other hand my husband (and everybody else) says we can't raise him alone - it's not fair towards our boy. I understand his point, but what if I am so sick again, and after the birth my condition just gets worse? Is there someone with a similar situation that can give me some kind of advice? Like I said, I really don't know which way to go.

Dear Baby Blues,
let's see if our good readers have had similar experiences.
I don't quite understand what is being said about it being unfair to your boy to raise him alone --- an only child comes o absolutely no harm whatsoever from being an only child, and it can have some advantages ; so anyone who suggests you must have other children for this reason, are just being idiotic.
You'd need to discuss your particular vaiety and experience of Complex Partial Epilepsy with your Neurologist --- but I don't see why it ought necessarily to grow any worse because of a further pregnancy. Your boy will probably grow beyond these ear problems --- like the child of a friend of mine, who had 4 hospitalizations, grommets, the works, for major ear problems, up to the are of around 3, and hasn't had a single problem since then.
Depression is common, maybe more so in women. An Post-Partum depression, starting up after childbirth, is also quite common. So it might be worth checking with your psychiatrist about whether you are suffering at all from depression, and at leas to remain alert in case such a problem emerges during the prenancy.