Question

my 2 year daughter sometimes suffers to pass a stool and she generaly passes balls

My husband and I are terribly concerned about our daughter. On occassion she struggles to pass a stool, espicieally if she misses a day and then tries the next day. When she eventually passes the stool ,the stool is a huge ball, sometimes the size of an small womans fist, is extremely painful and hard to pass. At one stage we stopped giving her Bananas as this was the only fruit she would eat and we read that this can cause constipation. I then also cut doen on yoghurt as she was drinking alot of nesquick as we where told that to much dairy could also cause constipation, at this point we had now cut out most of the things she actually ate as my daughter does not eat much, she will only eat if you are eating and we are only at home at night.The foods that she will eat are pastas, rice, peas and spinach.

I have spoken to my doctor before and he said it could have been the medicine she was on at the time however my daughter is not on medication everytime it happens.

Have you got any thoughts on this matter?

Rmxcraven, the problem is that we have to make sure that there isn’t an underlying disorder causing the constipation. This is very difficult to do from this side of the screen. The best would be to see a paediatrician and have it sorted out. In the meantime you can get her Duphalac® Dry and give her one sachet every night until her stools become soft. You can then lower the dosage to half a sachet at night for at least another 2-4 weeks before you stop it. Duphalac® is safe and see can take it for the rest of her life if she needs to (unlike other laxatives that irritate the bowel). Good luck.