Question

02 Oct 2009

My cholesterol is high
I just found that my cholesterol is high (6.1) I am doing what is necessary to lower my cholesterol, but would just like to know one thing: is it OK for me to eat Tussers low fat cheese now and then?

Dear V
If you are on a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet then you can have a moderate portion of about 20g of Tussers low-fat cheese once or twice a week. Patients with raised cholesterol can even eat eggs 4 x a week. Just make sure that your total fat intake, saturated fat intake and cholesterol intake for the given day is not excessive. You can also eat all low-fat or preferably fat-free cottage cheese and yoghurt and drink fat-free milk to ensure that you obtain adequate supplies of calcium.