Ask an expert

11 Feb 2013

my disabled daughter might have diabetes
My daughter has PWS and is overweight, she has all the symptoms of diabetes - can i go to her GP and ask for him to test for it or is there a home test we can do
Answer 282 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Shaun
Do take your dear daughter to your gp for a full examination. If the doctor agrees that she may be suffering from diabetes, he/she will send your daughter to have the proper tests. If she should be diagnosed as diabetic or suffering from insulin resistance then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your daughter's diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and physical disability, into account when working out a diet for her, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.