Ask an expert

14 Dec 2004

My fiancee's mother is a nightmare. I m really gettin pissed off!!
I m a guy and about to marry the Love of my life next week. Problem she is got a mother who is very controlling and demanding. She makes things really difficult for her. Above all, my fiancee is a very sweat and kind person, and her mother treats her like kak. This really makes me mad. My fiancee has tried several times to speak to her, write to her or using some family members to intervene without any success. She shouts at her like a 3 year old kid, passing nasty remarks on her. My fiancee told me she started this behaviour since she was a kid.

We are both 28. My fiancee supported her family a lot as her mother use to demand money from her ever since she was studying,up until now. She use to take every cent her sponsors (Busaries) give her to her mother, and she really went through a lot in life. Most of her sucess was hard work , with a lot of pressure from her familY.

Things are so bad in a way that she has decided not to tell her or anyone in her family that she is getting married in two weeks time. Her phone is always off. Her mother is now calling me demanding me to tell her to come home for prayers and advice as she wont make it in the marriage coz she is stubborn.

Everytime her mother call her, she is rude on her and passes negetive remarks on her. We were to Wed in June but Her mother wanted to take control of her wedding(Organising everything ie speeches, program etc), she became frustrated and she pulled off. She is always fighting with her and she dont want her to talk to her realtives and she isnot getting along with anyone in family ie her sisters , brothers etc.

What do I do now?
Answer 396 views

01 Jan 0001

Sounds like a nightmare mom, all right, and your fiancee is right to draw the line and take her own independence, and refuse to be dominated by this selfish old woman. It sounds like you know what needs to be done --- and our readers have some good and thoughtful advice all round
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.