Question

My friends an addict
I please need your advise with the following. A childhood friend of mine is addicted to over the counter medication called " Adco-Sinal Co"  and " Sinutab with Codeine" .
He has been using it everyday for over 10 years.
He uses up to 100 tablets per day.
He is now willing to get help but he wants to know at what stage his addiction is.
Could u therefore please advice the following?
If you compare him to a heroine addict, how bad is his use?
How much does and average and bad Heroine addict use per day?
And how does this compare to my friends use?

Will he have bad withdrawals?

Thanks,
M.F
Addictions expert
Addictions expert

Hi Michael
Thank you for your post.

We suggest rather than looking at the quantity of drugs that people use, it is more important to look at how it is effecting their life.

We look at addiction as a disease with a criteria namely the following:
- Loss of control
- Tolerance level increases
- Unsuccessful attempts to stop
- Preoccupation ( constantly thinking about using )
- Amount of time using
- Withdrawal
- Work life and family life deteriorates

I would definitely recommend that you assist your friend with seeking help from a treatment centre. Please call Harmony on 021 790 7779 to arrange a free assessment with our Clinical Director.

Please keep us posted.

Wishing you warmest regards

The Harmony Team