Question

My husband
I am at my wit' s end.

A few years ago, when I met my now husband, he had a good job. When we got married, I planned to one day be able to stay at home and be a housewife. About a year ago he decided to start his own business and has not been earning as much as he used to.

In the mean time, I have been promoted at work and earn about 4 times what he earns. I would expect that he pays half the monthly bills, but he insists that we split it according to our earning ratio' s.

Because I work longer hours, he does the cooking and cleaning at home.

I have asked him numerous times about what he plans to do about earning more money. I am starting to get more irritated and find myself making comments about the clothes he wears, his family being embarrasing, etc.

I feel that I' ve lost respect for him and have started to confide in my close friends who say I should just throw him out of the house and divorce him and find someone who is more " on my level" .

What should I do?

It actually makes good sense ( and courts of law would often see it that way ) to divide expenses in proportion to earnings, as a 50m /50 split when the earnings are 90/20 would be unfair. Appaently he contributes more in house chores, etc, and that's good. You really don't seem to be talking about love at all --- the word and concept seems absent from your thinking --- you seem to love like an accountant.