Question

My job is destroying me
I have never had issues at work before, always worked well and achieved, but over the last 4 months, my job has become to destroy me. I inadvertently got caught in the middle of a power struggle, and since then my life has been a living hell. Hardly a day goes by that I am not in tears over work, and usually I would class myself as a resilient and strong person. I am also a single parent and trying not to bring stress home and with no one to talk to about it, makes things tough on my son. I have tried everything not to be emotional about it all, but am finding myself at breaking point, ready to walk out at anytime. My cv has been on the market, but I am not getting anywhere, I find myself becoming completely despondent and suspect that depression is starting to set in, I keep on trying to convince myself that its only a job that pays the bills, but it is starting to impact the hours that I am not at work. I have been completely ostracized, everywhere I go I wonder what I am going to be raked over the coals for, mostly unjustifiably IMO, however because of this, i am also aware that I am starting to under perform, and starting just not to care, which means when I come in in the morning I start becoming neurotic about what I am going to be raked over the coals for again, and so it forms a cycle. In really don''t know what to do anymore, have now been called into a meeting on Wednesday and know I will end up bursting into tears, so don''t want to go, and already am worried about how I can avoid work for the next week...how can I turn my emotions off for work, prevent myself from turning into an emotional wreck, considering I might not be able to get another job in the near future.

The civil wars that rage in some offices can indeed be awful ; and they always indicate bad senior management, among other factors. And its harder than in conventional warfare to become a neutral and non-combatant.
Are there not other people like you, also caught in the crossfire, with whom you could safely talk and give mutual support ?
Its easy advice to give and hard to actually carry out, to leave the job back at work and make your own time truly your own. Does the company have an HR dept, and if so, what on earth are they doing ? Seeing a counsellor, especially if this is provided for within company medical aid, would be wise, and could be very helpful. People who ostracize you are unworthy of the power you give them by allowing them to upset you. Greet them cheerfully and ignore their lack of response ; that helps to remove their fangs.
I\m sure that after the weekend, as our regular readers return in greater numbers, you should receive further support and good advice from our group many of whom have experienced similar troubles. Remember at all times that you are a good person doing a good job, and don't let the bad guys disturb you