Question

My leg muscles pull stiff when I walk/run
I started the wow programme 5 weeks ago and started exercising for the first time in years. I do fine when cycling, using threadmill etc., but as soon as I go for a brisk walk or try to jog the muscles in my legs, from the ankle up pulls stiff and I have excruciating pain and can hardly walk. What can be causing this? I'd really like to make running part of my exercise as I rather enjoy the outdoors.

Hi there

I think your problem might simply be that you are trying to push too hard, when your muscles, ligaments, tendons, bones and joints aren't yet properly adapted. Try a moderate intensity rather than a brisk walk and stay away from running for at least another five weeks or so, whilst your body adapts to your exercise. After about 10 weeks of the programme, try some brisk walking again and perhaps try a little jogging. If you still experience severe pain, then visit your doctor to see if there is an underlying problem.

Also check your training shoes. Are they providing adequate support and shock absorption. If not, you might need to consider investing in a decent pair.

Good luck.