Ask an expert

07 Mar 2003

My mother hurts me emotionally
I have a mother who is always doing and saying the most hurtful things. She never does anything for me willingly. I suspect that she doesn't want to spend her money on any of her kids. I'm 21yrs old and I have two younger brothers-18 & 8. My 18yr-old bro is in university and is father does everything for him. The 8yr-old is being taken care off by his father. When we were young we suffered big time because of her and I'm still suffering. She doesn't do anything for me. I'm @ university. I failed my 1st year 'cause I was nearly raped in the res I stayed in. It was in 2001. She didn't pay my fees for the whole year and I got excluded. I owed 13 000. She settled the debt last year and now she won't stop telling me about the money she waisted on me. She is the only parent I have. Who's supposed to pay for my education? Now I've sworn never to ask her for anything cos I hadn't been asking her for much anyway. She doesn't buy me clothes. She does nothing for me. She's always telling me that she doesn't have money but she's working. I always understand when she says that & now she is taking advantage of my understanding.

Im not close to my mother and the thought of seeing her depresses me cos I dano't like her. She is the one person I can live without. She has done too many bad things to me. Her complaining about the money she spends on me is the last staw. I have been living a life of begging from other people for too long. I hate my mother. Please tell me how to live my life. I find it too unbearable because of my mother. What I don't understand is how can she have a problem with taking care of 1 child since the other once are being taken care of by their fathers. She works everyday. She is 42yrs but she has nothing to show. We don't have a home. She is renting it out. So finacial problems are out of the question. She is more concerned about pleasing her friends. What about us? Please help!
Answer 399 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear wine,
She sounds like a selfish and careless person. Does your father know about the situation, and the problems her meanness causes you ? He may want to help. Also, check out what's available at University --- theyshould have a counselling service available through Student Health, and you sound as if some direct and detailed personal counselling could help a lot. Also, chat to the University Student Finance folks, about whether there are any bursaries or scholarships for which you might be eligible, or at least a possibility of some loans which you could repay from your earnings after graduating.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.