Ask an expert

10 May 2013

my son is 36 yrs old, was diagnosed as a dyslexic as a child, and attended a what we called, "special school". He never had a serious job as an adult, although he did manage to get a security grade c certificate.
a few years ago, after moving from a small freestate town into the city, he changed dramatically, and after several different things happening (including phisically abusing me, and seeing and believing funny stuff) he was diagnosed as schizo[phrenic. he is using an anti-psycotic pill every day for the past 3 years. For most of the times he seems fine, but every so often he will do the most funny things, like quitting a job, buying presents for girls who do not know/like him, refusing to do anything, either over-eating or over-dieting. I am worried about what will happen to him after I pass away, as I am not healthy myself, and his brother and sister already said they will not take him in after my death. What options are there for a person like my son, like what institutions, or homes, or other help is there for such persons? Thank you very much for the help.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9321 votes
67% - 18660 votes