Question

My wife's downward dieting spiral
My wife is on and off diets permanently. Once she achieves her weight goal she stops and starts eating normal with a couple of cheats in between. During these times her mood is good and she is very sociable. As soon as she picks it up again (which she always does), she gets depressed and moody and continuously refer to her weight during chats and discussions. Fat and weight issues has become an obsession with her, whether she like to accept it or not, and I really think it is to her detriment, especially in the long run.
The problem is that some of the diets she has used do actually work whilst followed, but as soon as she goes off it the weight just comes back again. She spend a thousand ran + per year on diets.
It might be a psychological problem. If so, who can we go and see - we live in the Durban area.

Can you help?

Dear Reader
I agree with you that there may well be a psychological component to this problem your wife has with diets and depression. I would suggest that you a) consult a clinical psychologist b) a dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) after the Festive Season as most people are on vacation right now). These experts will help your wife to explore the underlying reasons for her perpetual dieting.
Hang in there