Question

myalgic encephalo myelitis (Mysterious exhausting illness)
Dear Diet Doc

My mother in law has recently been diagnosed with myalgic encephalo myelitis (Mysterious exhausting illness). She has tried everything but cannot return to her physical healthy self. She has been told that there is a specific diet that can be followed to help with this illness. Could you please give her some guidelines. As well as which food she should be avoiding or eating plenty of.

She suffers continuous pain in her muscles, back and hips, as well as being continually exhausted. Is it true that she is not aloud to do any form of exercise.

Thank you.
Ling

Dear Ling
I would like to suggest that your dear Mom consults a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings)) so that he/she can work out a diet that is rich in protective nutrients. Basically such a diet entails eating plenty of raw (if possible), fresh fruit and vegetables, unprocessed cereals and grains, plenty of fish, lean meat, eggs and low-fat milk and dairy products to ensure that she ingests sufficient vitamins, minerals, trace elements and omega-3 fatty acids. Check with your prescribing dr if she is not at least allowed to go gentle exercise such as going for walks in the fresh air, as there is one school of thought that encourages gentle exercise for these patients.
I do hope that your dear Mom gets over this illness speedily.