Question

Nail infection
I have this fungal nail infection, the doctor prescribed ADO SPOROZOLE and the infection looked as if it was cured. About two months later it appeared again so I got another dose and the infection disappeared again. However the infection is back after about two months, I am running out of money because the pills is costing me about R1000 for a two week prescription.

Is there any cheaper medication that I can use(generic) without a prescription?
Pharmacist
pharmacist

T

Two weaks is a relative short course for treatment - You might need to take the medicine for 6 weeks. You might need to take it for 6 months, or longer. It depends on where the infection is and how bad it is.

Sporazole is recommended to be prescribed in the following way:

Continuous treatment: 200 mg daily for 3 months, OR

Pulse treatment: 200 mg twice daily for 7 days (1 week) = 1 pulse treatment:
Fingernail infections = 2 pulse treatments
Toenail infections = 3 pulse treatments

Pulse treatments are always separated by a 21-day (3 week) drug free period.

Therefore, for: Fingernail infections - 200 mg twice daily for 7 days (1 week), followed by 21-day (3 week) drug free period, followed by another 200 mg twice daily for 7 days (1 week).
Toenail infections - 200 mg twice daily for 7 days (1 week), followed by 21 day (3 week) drug free period, followed by another 200 mg twice daily for 7 days (1 week) and a further 21-day (3 week) drug free period, followed by a final 200 mg twice daily for 7 days (1 week).

Sporazole is already a generic of a more expensive drug